If you’re a semi-regular reader, you’ve seen photos of my bedroom as I’ve been making updates, but today I’m ready to show you just how far the bedroom decor has come in the form of this before-and-after post. One is never done with decorating, but I feel good enough about the way things look for now. Keep reading to see how appalling the before photo is– the sad part is that I thought it looked good at the time two years ago! Oh well, we learn as we grow…
I “finished” with the living room design and I realised that I’d focused so much on that room that the rest of the house looked even more sad by comparison. It didn’t take a huge amount of work/money to improve the bedroom. Very small touches elevated the look very easily.
I did a little DIY on some Ikea dressers and a plant pot, which was simple and added a much needed touch of design. Huckleberry Fig, my plant, has also been wonderful for adding a splash of cosy green to the room. The little circle you see on the table is a coaster I made from the leftover leather I used to make the drawer handles.
The last piece I was waiting on before I could do this post was my triangle wall nails to hang my necklaces. Previously, I’d been hanging necklaces on doors or flinging them in drawers, where they were getting tangled, so I’m very happy to have this nail (you can grab one for yourself here).
This is one of the two boucherouite rugs I picked up in Morocco. We chose it because it’s so bold and colourful. It originally wasn’t meant for the bedroom, but it’s perfect there and I can’t imagine it anywhere else. Of course, we’re moving in a couple of months, so who knows how everything will be shuffled around in the new flat.
And now for what you came to see…
This is what the bedroom looked like when we moved in two years ago. Unfortunately, I don’t have any more angles on this room, but you can use your imagination to see that it was dull. The reason I took this picture was to send to my family in the States, so I was apparently quite proud of it at the time.
The side tables were a failed DIY, where I tried to give them a campaign dresser effect, but I couldn’t because the wood was too hard and I didn’t have a drill. The curtains and the blanket are… brown. The change we made that had the most instant effect was to replace the brown curtains with black ones. A top tip for you is to experiment with your curtains to change the look of your room. A second top tip for you is to stay away from too much beige– it’s a depressing colour in high amounts.
There you have it! I hope you like the changes, and maybe spotted a few ideas for yourself. These were all very affordable changes that anyone could make over the course of a couple of month without breaking the bank. I’m looking forward to buying a bed for the new house and tying the look together even more!